Sunday, May 26, 2013

Wednesday, May 22nd

Past Perfect & Past Perfect Continuous Tenses

Exercise 1 (p. 93-94)

1.  When I got up, the sun had already risen.

2. I was going to make a pot of coffee, but my husband had already made a pot before he left.

3. I had made several phone calls by the time I left the house.

4. I had to take the subway to work because my wife had taken the car.

5. When I got to work, my boss hadn't arrived yet.

6. By the time, I went out to lunch, I had spoken to ten clients.

7. I took an aspirin before I went home because I had had a headache all day.

8. My children had already gone to bed by the time I got home from work.

9. I fell asleep right away because I had had a very day at work.


Exercise 2 (p. 95)

1. When they came into the room (1), their son left (2).

2. When they came into the room (2), their son had just left (1).

3. When I got home from school (1), I did my homework (2).

4. When I got home from school (2), I had already done my homework (1).

5. When she got to my house (2), she had eaten dinner (1).

6. When she got to my house (1), she ate dinner (2).

7. The teacher gave a test (2) when Linda arrived (1).

8. The teacher had already given a test (1) when Linda arrived (2).


Exercise 5 (p. 96)

1. I had been waiting for two years when I got a chance to leave my country.

2. I had been living in the same house all my life when I left my city.

3. I felt very sad when I left my job because I had been working with the same people for 10 years.

4. I had been studying to be a nurse for six months when a war broke out in my country.

5. When I left my country, the war had been going on for three years.

6. My family had been waiting in a refugee camp for three months before we got permission to come to Canada.

7. By the time I got to Canada, I had been travelling for four days.




No comments:

Post a Comment