Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Homework, May 29th

Exercise 10, p. 103-104

    

       I was born in Vietnam in 1960.  I (had) lived (1) there until 1975 when the 

government fell (2) and the communists took (3) over.  I will never forget that

moment.  I was studying (4) in high school at that time.  I was taking (5) a 

math test when the director of our school came (6) into the class to announce that 

the government had fallen (7).  Everyone in my class  became (8) silent.  The

teacher stopped (9) our test and told (10)us to go home.  By the time I got (11)

home from school, my father had already made (12) arrangements to 

leave the country.  Our lives were (13) in great danger because my father had 

worked/had been working (14) for the U.S. military for ten years.  We left (15)

in a hurry.  We had (16) no time to say good-bye to our friends or pack our 

belongings. We took (17) with us only the most necessary things.  We left (18) 

behind many things that had taken (19) my family years to acquire.


       After we (had)left (20) Vietnam, we went (21) to Thailand, where we stayed 

(22) for three years.  While we were waiting (23) for permission to come to 

Canada, we studied/were studying (24) English.  We wanted (25) to be prepared

for our life in Canada. 


       I'll never forget December 5, 1978, one of the happiest days of my life. It was 

three o'clock, and I was helping (26) my brother practise his English lesson when 

my father ran (27) into our quarters with a letter in his hand.  The Canadian 

government had given (28) us permission to go to Canada.  We were (29) so 

excited when my father told/was telling (30) us the news. 


       When we arrived (31) at Mirabel airport in Montreal on February 6, 1979, 

our sponsor was waiting (32) for us.  He was holding (33) a sign that said, 

"Welcome to Canada, Mr. Ly Tran and family."  We were (34) so happy and 

excited.  My mother started (35) to cry.


       Now we have been (36) in Canada for about 15 years.  At first, it was (37)

difficult for me to learn English.  My little brother and sisters learned (38) it quickly, 

but it took (39) me much longer.  I attended (40) classes at a CEGEP from 1979 to

1983.  I think I learned/have learned (41) to speak English pretty well.  But my

mother didn't learn English at the time because she had (42) to stay home to take 

care of the little ones.


       When the little ones entered (43) high school, my mother started (44) to 

study English. About two years ago, she enrolled (45) at Vanier College. She has 

learned (46) lot of English lately.  All of us help/have been helping/have

 helped (47) her.  My younger brother and sisters have forgotten (48) how 

to speak Vietnamese already, but I haven't (forgotten)/ won't (forget) (49).


       We have had (50) a hard life since we came to Canada, but we made (51) the

 right decision to leave when we did. 





No comments:

Post a Comment